Saturday, March 24, 2012

Race for Autism 5K

What a fun time this morning with the family!

This is the third year I have done the Race for Autism 5K at Balboa Park. Our friends have a team, and it's great fun to join with them each year for such a wonderful cause.

In 2009, I was just in the infancy stage of my fitness journey. It was my very first 5K, which I walked with my daughter. I was so scared and nervous. I look back on that and marvel and how much I have changed. It's a fantastic lesson: never limit yourself! You never know what you are capable of!

I ran this morning with my very lively 10 year old son. He is a sweetheart and very protective of me...especially with diabetes. He felt uber responsible for me, and kept asking about what he should do if I would go low while we were running. I kept reassuring him that I had glucose tabs, and that all would be well. I really like that he cares about his mommy! By the way...I was fine...no lows!

He is getting faster and taller, and at some points of the race as he swooshed past me, I could hardly believe that was my boy. He is turning into a young man before my eyes. I was so proud of him and how he pushed himself and tried his hardest. He said he can't wait to do our next one.

My husband ran with our nearly 14 year old daughter.  They finished before us, and thoroughly enjoyed the race together. All of us have HRM's (heart rate monitors), and it was really helpful. I've been using one for a while now, and the kids are getting used to theirs and seeing the importance of them.

It was a super fun morning, and I can't wait for my next race!

No comments:

Post a Comment