Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rewards

This pursuit that I have...the completion of my first half-marathon, involves many things.

Yes, its all about the actual training...running, strength-training, etc. But, training also involves eating properly. Blitz, my awesome trainer, always says, "You can't out-exercise a bad diet.'"

He has clients who get very frustrated because they are doing all the right things exercise wise, but are not losing weight. He always asks about their diet. What are you eating? How much are you eating?

To be honest, when I first started working out in earnest about 2 1/2 years ago, I wasn't focusing on my food choices. I was just thinking about how great I was doing with all my walking and working out. I soon realized that I was shooting myself in the foot for not combining clean eating with workouts and running.

We are all human and have the urge to reward ourselves for a job well done. For some, food is the reward. I ran across this quote recently on my current favorite thing, Pinterest, and it made me do some serious thinking:


Wow!

How often do we run a ginormous amount of miles and then think, "Hey, I SO deserve this cookie!" ??

We don't deserve to feed ourselves junk. We deserve to feed our bodies good stuff. This also goes for our children...let's give them a reward other than food!

I'm not saying never to eat another cookie or have another mug full of ice-cream (everybody eats their ice cream in mugs, right?). What I am saying is that I have changed my thinking with regard to rewards.

I want to reward myself with getting leaner, more toned, and sleeker. Now that is a reward that is good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment