Monday, February 13, 2012

12.5 Miles

Well, dang it. I had a really nice long post about how I ran 12.5 miles on Saturday...blah, blah, blah...but it somehow didn't save.

I guess that's the way it goes...but, the main point remains: I ran my longest distance yet. And, this 12.5 miler was WAY better than my 11 miler!

I whined much less, and just generally felt much more prepared for this one. I knew I was gonna be on that Southern California bayfront pavement for at least 3 hours. So, I just kept putting one foot in front of the other...mile after mile.

I did have a low blood sugar episode, which really slowed me up and was kind of hard to rebound from. But, I treated it, and kept going. I used up all my shot bloks and sport beans, and was left with 2 glucose tabs by the end. I learned that for runs this long, I need some actual food. I will most definitely bring a protein bar next time.

Mile 7 seems to be where I begin to get giddy. I just generally feel goofy, start to sing, um, a tad loud, and feel a bit crazy. I can't figure out the significance of this. Maybe it's my way of calming myself down for the next 5 arduous miles. Singing seems to be therapeutic for me!

I started to question my sanity again at Mile 11. I confess. I sat down and cried a bit...feeling super tired and wondering what the heck I was doing. I really just wanted to stop right then and there. But, I knew I couldn't. I was gonna have to muster up all the energy and strength I had to finish.

I really understand the great importance of these killer training runs. I need to know what the pain feels like. I need to know how I will feel after 12 miles, so that on marathon day, I can remind myself that I have already done this...and that I can indeed do it. The half-marathon is only .6 longer!

I never ever thought I would be doing anything like this. But, the only way to know how far you can go (with running or in life), is to go there. Push your limits! It's fully invigorating and empowering.

Getting tired is a given. Giving up or stopping is not...

"You don't stop when you're tired. You stop when you're done." unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment